The El Escalante Hotel

Contrived by the Cedar City Chamber of Commerce and designed by Randall Jones in 1919, the El Escalante hotel was located on the SW corner of 200 North and Main Street, conveniently across from the railroad depot. Construction began under the direction of city leaders with locally made brick. The hotel was purchased by Union Pacific to accommodate tourists to the nearby Utah parks in 1923. The hotel began hosting thousands of visitors a year, including movie stars and President Warren G. Harding. The El Escalante anchored the north end of Main Street for nearly 50 years. In August of 1971 it was sold to a private enterprise and was demolished. Here is a sample of some of the images and artifacts we have from the El Escalante. We would love to hear your stories and recollections about the hotel.

An early image of the hotel and depot.

The hotel in the 1960's.

The hotel with the UPC buses out front.

A typical room. Taken from a 1925 UPC tourist guide.

The lobby of the El Escalante hotel.

Registration card

Room key